The IBIS Christmas Calendar Wing School Project (CCP) in Ghana is a replica of the erstwhile Alliance for Change in Education (ACE) Project funded by Danida. It is a school in out-of-reach communities for children between 4-8 years. The project is implemented in the East Gonja district of the Northern Region of Ghana. It targets enrolling 2,000 out of school children into school within three years.
Features of Wing Schools
- The use of mother tongue as a medium of instruction and literacy, especially in communities that are not multi-lingual.
- Use of community members as community teachers.
- Targets children of school going age between 4-8 years.
- Established in hard to reach communities/for out-of-reach children (KG-P3)
- Community members establish and manage the school through SMT
- Teaching and learning materials are in context of the learners environment
- A maximum of 40 learners per teacher with majority being girls